By Deborah Dash Moore
"Displays the entire diversity of trained, considerate opinion at the position of Jews within the American politics of identity."---David A. Hollinger, Preston Hotchkis Professor of yank background, collage of California, Berkeley "A interesting anthology whose essays crystallize the main salient positive factors of yank Jewish lifestyles within the moment half the 20 th century."---Beth S. Wenger, Katz kin affiliate Professor of yankee Jewish heritage and Director of the Jewish reviews application, collage of Pennsylvania Written by way of students who grew up after global warfare II and the Holocaust who participated in political struggles within the Nineteen Sixties and Seventies and who articulated a number of the formative strategies of recent Jewish experiences, this anthology presents a window into an period of social switch. those women and men are one of the major students of Jewish historical past, society and culture. The quantity is prepared round contested issues in American Jewish lifestyles: the Holocaust and global conflict II, non secular pluralism and authenticity, intermarriage and Jewish continuity. hence, it bargains one of many few possibilities for college kids to profit approximately those debates from player scholars. Contributors:Hasia R. DinerArnold M. EisenSylvia Barack FishmanArthur GreenJeffrey GurockPaula E. HymanEgon MayerAlvin H. RosenfeldJonathan D. SarnaStephen J. Whitfield Deborah sprint Moore is Director of the Jean and Samuel Frankel middle for Judaic reports and Frederick G. L. Huetwell Professor of heritage on the collage of Michigan.
Read or Download American Jewish Identity Politics PDF
Best judaism books
From Abraham to Saul Bellow, from Moses Maimonides to Woody Allen, from the Baal Shem Tov to Albert Einstein, this entire dictionary of Jewish biographies presents a primary aspect of access into the attention-grabbing richness of the Jewish background. Modelled at the hugely acclaimed Dictionary of Christian Biography (Continuum 2001) and with the recommendation of top Jewish students, the Dictionary of Jewish Biography presents a quick connection with these Jewish women and men who've, during the last 4 thousand years, contributed to the lifetime of the Jewish humans and the heritage of the Jewish faith.
This re-creation of the prize-winning Encyclopaedia of Judaism is almost double the scale of the unique three-volume version. It beneficial properties fifty two new entries and comprises the 2 individually released supplementary volumes and bibliographic updates.
This moment variation bargains an authoritative, complete, and systematic presentation of the present nation of scholarship on basic problems with Judaism, either earlier and current. whereas heavy emphasis is put on the classical literature of Judaism and its historical past, this version additionally contains important entries on circumcision, genetic engineering, homosexuality, intermarriage in American Judaism, and different acutely modern issues.
Articles are written in essay shape, and plenty of are illustrated for additional emphasis. the frilly index enables prepared entry to major humans, areas, and different real details. This valuable reference paintings is written for an viewers from all backgrounds, students and common readers alike.
‘The Encyclopaedia of Judaism is a vital source for these attracted to studying extra approximately Jewish lifestyles. ’
Dr. Alfred Gottschalk, President of the Museum of Jewish background, ny, 2001
'Shahak matters the full background of Orthodoxy . .. to a hilarious and scrupulous critique. ' Christopher Hitchens, The country
The Jews of Beirut: the increase of a Levantine neighborhood, 1860s-1930s is the 1st learn to enquire the emergence of an prepared and colourful Jewish group in Beirut within the past due Ottoman and French interval. seen within the context of port urban revival, the writer explores how and why the Jewish neighborhood replaced in this time in its social unity, organizational constitution, and ideological affiliations.
- A Chosen Few: The Resurrection of European Jewry
- Rabbi Shneur Zalman of Liady (The Origins of Chabad Hasidism)
- Chassidic Dimensions: Themes in Chassidic Thought and Practice (Mystical Dimension, Vol. 3)
- The Murmuring Stories of the Priestly School: A Retrieval of Ancient Sacerdotal Lore
- Jesus in his Context
Additional resources for American Jewish Identity Politics
38. Lashner, "An Evening's Discussion," 31. 39. Joseph Bensman, "The Sociologist on the Cutting Edge," in Rosenberg and Goldstein, Creators and Disturbers, 374. 40. Uris, quoted in Rontch, Jewish Youth at War, 225. 41. Eisen, quoted in Rontch, Jewish Youth at War, 43. 42. Paris, quoted in Rontch, Jewish Youth at War, 147. 42 AMERICAN JEWISH IDENTITY POLITICS 43. Quoted in Kligsberg, "American Jewish Soldiers," 263. 44. Kligsberg, "American Jewish Soldiers," 62. 45. Edward T. Sandrow, "Jews in the Army-a Short Social Study," The Reconstructionist, March 17, 1944, I.
When he was a teenager he met a Polish boy who had studied "within the Hebrew secular system of Poland. "IO The diverSity and numbers of New York Jews allowed them to settle large sections of the city and to endow those areas with a Jewish ambiance. " Although they shared the streets with other ethnics, New York Jews often were remarkably provincial. "Much later," the labor leader continues, "I was impressed when my Chicago friends told me that right across the street there might be a Polish family and a Polish gang ready to get you.
9. Deborah Dash Moore, "On the Fringes of the City: Jewish Neighborhoods in Three Boroughs," in The Landscape of Modernity, ed. David Ward and Olivier Zunz (New York: Russell Sage, 1992), 253-54. 10. Gerson Cohen, "The Scholar as Chancellor," in Creators and Disturbers, ed. Bernard Rosenberg and Ernest Goldstein (New York: Columbia University Press, 1982), 217; Ira Rosenwaike, Population History of New York City (Syracuse: Syracuse University Press, 1972), 100-112. II. Victor Gotbaum, "The Spirit of the New York Labor Movement," in Rosenberg and Goldstein, Creators and Disturbers, 246.